Tuesday, February 1, 2011

When do You Start Talking "College"?

     As a child I remember my family talking "college".  I wasn't sure what college was, but I knew I would be going one day.  Just like elementary school and high school, I knew I would one day be attending college.  It was never assumed otherwise.  If college is part of your vocabulary and your child's vocabulary from a young age, it will become an expectation that you and your children will automatically shoot for.  I never asked "if or when". I only asked "where".
     As part of this way of thinking, my family, and I later with my own children, included colleges when possible, on our road trips.   If we went to Disneyland, we visited UC Irvine, and UCLA.  If we traveled to the East Coast, we visited Boston College, Georgetown and Harvard.   When it came time for my own children to visit colleges to pick for themselves, they already knew what they were looking for.  Just like when we start our children in soccer, T Ball, Dance, Swimming or Gymnastics at 4 or 5 years old, we want them exposed to and be used to the plays, the vocabulary, the rules, and all the other things that come with early activities.   Why would we expect less of our children's education?

No comments:

Post a Comment